- Fuel Injection
- Dyno Charts and Parts Installation
- Tuners Notes
- Recent posts
- H-D Service/Support/Modifications
- Performance Calculators
- Popular content
2009 Touring Bike update Aug-27-2009
For a while it looke like late 2009 production Touring models might be able to use the XiED's. I started a new test period to validate this possibility. After additional testing, I found that these late manufacter bikes were not able to use the Inline Enrichment Devices with any more consistency of results than the earlier 2009 Touring bikes. But during this same time, a lot of new information has been discovered. For 2009 Touring bike Riders, what was discovered is a combination of good and bad news.
Here is the current state of my research on the 2009 H-D Touring bikes:
- I received information there have been some 09 Touring bikes that did install XiED's (despite lack of certification by Nightrider) on their bikes. Based on informaton we received, these bikes seemed to all be VIN numbers over 5000000 or late manufacture date bikes. I extended some testing to these bikes to see if I could certify these particular bikes. It was determined that these bikes that were running XiED's successfully were random and the late manufacture bikes did not seem to have any better success with the XiED's than the earlier bikes.
- About the same time, I also started getting information that there were known issues with the ECM and Wiring Harness connectors on the 09 Touring bikes. These connectors were only certified for 5 insertions, so they had limited life. I also received information of specific failures inside these connectors that could impact sensor signals that the XiED's rely on for accurate control.
- I subsequently found that some 2010 Touring bikes were experiencing CE lights by simply 'wiggling' the OEM wiring harness. This issue seems to be directly related to the connector issues on the 2009 Touring bikes.
- Circumstantial evidence points to vibration of the wiring harness and the inherent limited insertion life of the ECM/Wiring Harness connector as a significant contributing factor to the issues experienced by the XiED products on the 09 Touring bikes. The problem is a floating 'clean' ground, which was never captured external to the ECM but was the most logical cause of error codes in the ECM of bikes with the various XiED's installed.
Additional information indicates that HD has acknowledged the 'potential' of connector issues on the 09 Touring bikes, possibly extending back to some 08 bikes. It seems that H-D might address connector issues on a case-by-case basis. But this is very preliminary info and does not represent an offical response from H-D on the connector issue.
But Riders must understand that H-D is not going to do anything on its bikes to ensure that the XiED's or other aftermarket products will work on their bikes. So it is unlikely that Riders that approach their local Dealers for ECM/Wiring Harness corrections are going to get any action from H-D unless there are secondary problems seen on their bikes, like an active CE light that can be traced back to a potential connector issue. It is also highly likely that many Dealers are not fully aware of these connector issues or are not properly diagnosing a connector issue, so the 'root cause' of some problems are not going to be fixed in the long run for a Rider. It is my own opinion that many of these 2009 Touring bikes are not going to 'age' gracefully, developing intermittent and hard-to-diagnose electrical problems in a couple of years.
Based on all this recent information, I now have a specific issue that I can try to resolve to certify the XiED's on 09 Touring bikes. It will involve testing and ensuring this 'fix' does not conflict with potential Service Bulletins that come from H-D for these bikes.
The situation can be confusing, but mostly because I have been trying to find a way to Certify the product on these bikes. As new information has been obtained from reliable sources or learned more while testing, I tried to inform Riders of what was happening with the 09 Touring bikes. I feel that Rider's should be given information as honestly as possible. If more accurate information is received or something is discovered in testing, I will continue to provide updates to Riders.
So the current state of affairs is:
- The XiED's are not certified for 2009 Touring bikes.
- Nightrider is working on an update for the 2009 Touring bikes based on all this new information. I hope to have results in the next 2 months.
There are currently 0 users and 0 guests online.